Tuesday, September 2, 2008

So it's been a while...

I know, I know, I've been terribly negligent in posting.  What can I say?  I like to sleep in and mornings are the only time I get to write.  At this moment, however, I am in the middle of baking bread and thus am forced to remain awake to ensure a successful outcome.  I've been at this bread since 4 o'clock this morning, with hopes to get it out of the oven by 10:30 so when my groom gets in from being on-call all night, he can have his favorite food.  Gag all you want, but wait 'til you try my bread!  

Life has been quite nice, with the exception of the lawnmower man's nocturnal video game habits which has left me swearing strings of obscenities at about 3 in the morning because we can't sleep.  I've been honing my domestic talents (i.e. enthusiastically attacking every handicraft that women in the 1890s might have been forced to learn) and knitting and crocheting up a storm.  My latest fascination is sewing toys, like these two:

and with 4 dolls down I plan on taking on some other fun projects.  Admittedly, the scarf and blanket I am attempting needlework on looks like it was done by a paraplegic, but I'm holding onto the delusion that it will magically look perfect once it's done. 

Classes for grad school have started, and I feel very academic at the moment.  I even went out looking for some funky reader glasses with no magnification (my eyesight is, sadly, quite good), but couldn't find any. Instead, I've been planning my wardrobe around my classes.  How does a wanna-be artsy-schmartsy homemaker-cum-therapist look, you ask?  Well let me tell you.  First, I make sure to wash my hair only once a week so the style I choose never looks too contrived (does anyone really trust an academic with whistle-clean hair? I don't think so.)  Next, I find anything vintage (or slightly resembling vintage in my muddled brain) and toss it together with a pair of boots and a scarf.  Lately I'm big into knits, so anything made out of yarn or wool is sure to be on my body somewhere.  Finally, I top off the ensemble with big, chunky earrings and zero lipstick.  

I think the West might be getting to me.  

2 comments:

Alice said...

I'm so dissapointed you didn't post a picture--sounds hot... lol

Rachel Avie said...

I am banning myself from pictures because I don't want anyone who hasn't seen me since the wedding notice that I've put on ten pounds because of all this dang bread I bake. Ahh..the joys of married life.