Sunday, January 4, 2009

Baby it's cold outside

Here I was, naive little Floridian Rachel, thinking that winter was a whole new season in which to explore fashion and style.  I was so excited, planning the knit outfits with boots, coordinating scarves and hats, wearing holiday-themed earrings and adorable pea-coats.  Of course, with it 29 degrees outside, reality is now in full swing, and this is what I have worn for the past month of cold: 

1) Two pairs of socks, one with long neck to stretch up to my knees, the other nice and thick to keep my toes warm
2) Stretchy pants that act as long johns, since I don't actually own long johns
3) Sweat pants - big, awful, purple ones (they are sooo comfy and warm!)
4) If I feel like dressing up, I'll manage to weasel into some jeans...don't even think about a skirt or thin dress pants
5) Camisole with built-in bra
6) Long sleeve stretchy shirt
7) Sweat pant-matching purple sweatshirt
8) My fantastically warm albeit not-too-aesthetically-pleasing Goodwill sweater (It keeps me nice and toasty, at the expense of looking like I've been mauled by a dog)
9) Bulky jacket that smells of Wiemeraner, even after I washed it
10) The closest, warmest scarf I can find
11) My hat I crocheted
12) Faux-fur lined boots that have a lovely crust of mud along the bottom

That's it.  That's my fantastic winter wardrobe; a hodge-podge of the thickest, comfiest, warmest articles of clothing I can get my hands on.  Gone are the days of excitement and revelry; now I know all-too well that "winter fashion" is a big fat farce.  I'm waaaayyy too busy trying to keep my tookis warm to worry about anything matching, let alone looking at all presentable to the public.  The worst part is, I will try to get away with wearing the same thing as long as I possibly can because it is too cold to shower and once I do, I must sacrifice my warm clothes to the laundry basket and search out new ones.  If that isn't gross enough, I actually found myself thinking in the car yesterday, "Man, it is a good thing I haven't shaved my legs in five months.  If I tried going smooth again, my legs would be so much colder right now!"

This, my friends, is why all our future babies will be conceived in the summer.   

4 comments:

Amy Nelson said...

Found your blog on facebook! Welcome to the winter! Get yourself some long johns, a little pricey, but totally worth it. A lot less bulk for more warmth. Also, with all your craftyness, make yourself a rice bag. It's great to take in the car with you on those cold mornings to warm you up before the heater kicks in! Or put in bed when your sheets are still cold. Oh, so many uses!

Alice said...

I agree with the rice bag--we use wheat bags, though. I think they stink a little less (they both start to smell a little cooked after awhile). You be the judge. They also work if you have cramps--and you can put them in the freezer, too. Anyway. . . what I wanted to say was. . . I wish I had purple sweats. . . even more I wish I could see you in them :D. That's awesome.

Rachel Avie said...

Ooh thanks for the great advice! I think I'll get started on those asap!

Austin and Amy Smith said...

I had the same problem my first winter away from Florida! Annoying huh? But let me say, having had a winter baby, it's MUCH better! You have your own little heater attached, so you don't have to bundle (plus you don't feel like going out as much). Additionally, (at least if you are in the last trimester) you already feel yucky, so the winter and baby together give you a good excuse to sit in your toasty warm home and eat ice cream! :) I LOVE winter babies!