Monday, June 16, 2008

Getting Settled

The scent of pine floating on the air, Mount Rainier standing proudly in the background, friendly drivers who let you change lanes, recycling bins placed in every convenient location...what more could I possibly ask for?  Well, a sweater would be nice.  Despite the gorgeous scenery and lovely people, I find myself all too cold in the middle of June.  Who ever heard of 48 degree summer nights?  Not that I'm completely complaining, mind you.  It sure beats a temperature of 98 with humidity at 100 percent.  That is what my body prepares for as the calendar pages turn toward summer.  But this....no, I was not prepared for this.  
Yesterday my sweet husband and I walked to church (how quaint) and were at a speed of approximately seven miles per hour to generate as much body heat as possible as we went.  That is not easy to do in high heels, but the alternative was to freeze to death in this icy tundra of 64 degrees.  Yes, I am a foreigner here.  The locals show up without even panty hose on to protect their newly shaven legs, while I grimace in pain as my goose bumps undo all my hard work that morning in the shower.  These people are all celebrating summer by wearing short sleeves and open-toed shoes, while I walk around with two pairs of pants on and my husband's army socks that are so thick I have to wear shoes three sizes bigger in order to squeeze my feet in.  What is wrong here?!
I imagine that as time passes I will get used to this new climate.  It is wonderful to feel the cool air on my cheeks and breathe in the freshness of this world around me.  I feel rejuvenated, revitalized, and refreshed, if not slightly chilled.  But the chill, like the heart-pangs for home, will undoubtedly lessen until I, too, am a real Washingtonian.  

1 comment:

Kira said...

Ohhhhh, that sounds soooo nice right now! We are celebrating a nice cooling spell (just over a hundred, instead of 115 like it usually is) with a very LARGE windy day. NOthing like a great breeze in your face of a hot oven! How are you guys doing? Have you gotten any more furniture? Are you starting to feel a little more settled???